If you are looking for the various definitions of love, we have compiled a list of what love is all about according to different scholars and dictionaries.
What is love?
When it comes to love, there are a lot of different definitions out there. For some people, love is simply a feeling of strong affection and attraction. For others, love is more about companionship, trust, and commitment. And for others still, love is something that goes even deeper – it’s a feeling of soul connection and true intimacy.
In the end, there is no one “right” definition of love. It’s a word that means different things to different people, and that’s okay. We all have our own unique experiences and perspectives on what love is and what it means to us.
Best Definitions of love
Love can be defined in different ways by different people, depending on your own understanding of what love is all about.
Love is “a strong feeling of deep affection for somebody or something. It involves many different feelings, but when one loves, one avoids hurting others.” Another definition is that love is “accepting others as they are without trying to change them. It is a warm, affectionate feeling, attachment, or likeness of oneself and others.” It is the ability to tolerate others, even in difficult situations. Love can further be defined as the only healing to a wounded soul.
Ways to define Love
1.” Love is a strong feeling of deep affection for somebody or something”
2.” Love is an intense feeling of affection you feel”
3.” Love is a burning desire that cannot be easily quenched”
4.” Love is a passionate feeling that goes beyond ordinary like for something or someone”
5. “Love is accepting people as they are, and trying to bring the change they need to have a better life.”
6. Love is a very strong emotion for something or someone.
7. “Love is the ability to see the pains of others even when you have your own.”
8. “Love is the ability to see through the eyes of others.”
9. “Love is the ability to forget past wrongs and still feel the same way for someone..”
10. “Love is about believing in someone even when they are not worthy of your trust.”
11. “Love is sacrificing your comfort for others.”
12. “Love is taking a risk for others.”
13. “Love is seeing someone going astray and finding a way to get them back on the track.”
14. “Love is giving without expecting anything in return.”
15. “Love is seeing the imperfection in others and still wanting to be with them.”
17. “Love is honoring everyone without being biased because of their status or background.”
18. “Love is seeing the good side of people even when others can’t see it.”
19. “Love is the ability to lift others while you’re rising.”
20. Love is being patient with someone who is totally the opposite of who you are.”
Love definitions by scholars
1. ” Love is a hole in the heart” by Ben Hecht
2. ” Love is a grave mental disease” by Plato
3. “Love is Desperate madness” according to John Ford
4. “Love is a sentimental measles” Charles Kingsley
5. “Love is a mutual understanding” according to Oscar Wilde
Definitions of Love by Dictionaries
1. “A great interest and pleasure in something” according to English Oxford Living Dictionary
2. “An affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interest” by Merriam Webster Dictionary
3. “Love means a strong feeling of affection and sexual attraction for someone” according to Lexico Dictionary
4. “Love means to like another adult very much and be romantically and sexually attracted to them, or to have strong feelings of liking a friend or person in your family” by Cambridge Dictionary
5. “Love means a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person” according to Dictionary
6. “Love is an experience one person feels for another” according to Wikipedia
7. Love means a feeling of tenderness towards something or someone
8. Love is an intimate feeling for something or someone
9. Love means to have or develop sexual desire
10. Love means to develop passion, concern, and feelings for someone or something.
11. Love means to like something because it is good
12. Love means to take delight in something or someone.
Related: Can you ever stop loving someone?
Bible Definitions of Love
The Holy Bible in 1 Corinthians 13:4- 8 (Good News Bible) summarized love in the following ways:
- Love is patient and kind.
- It is not jealous or conceited or proud.
- Love is not ill-mannered or selfish or irritable
- It does not keep a record of wrongs.
- It is not happy with evil but is happy with the truth.
- Love never gives up, and its faith and patience never fail.
- Love is eternal.
Characteristics of love
Love has a special attribute that makes it distinct from other types of emotions we feel every day.
1. Love is selfless
One of the most common characteristics of love is that it is selfless. When you love someone, you are willing to put their needs above your own. You are willing to sacrifice your time, your energy, and your resources to make sure they are happy and taken care of.
2. Love is patient
Another quality of love is that it is patient. When you love someone, you learn to be patient with them. Patience has to do with tolerating and enduring certain things from others, with the hope that they will change someday.
3. Love is honest
You cannot talk about love and not include honesty. When you love someone, you try everything possible to tell them the truth, no matter the situation you may find yourself in.
4. Love trusts
Where there is no trust there is no love. Trust is the ability to confide in others even if you have not known much about each other. It is all about believing others and committing certain things to them, depending on the level of your relationship with them.
5. Love is risky
Loving others is a risk. It is a risk because you are committing yourself to do things for people who may in return hurt you. So, even if they might hurt you, you have made up your mind to love them.
6. Love makes sacrifices
Love is all about sacrificing certain things just to make others happy. Sometimes, it might involve your happiness, time, and money.
7. Love corrects
You rebuke or scold those you love. Any love without this quality is not genuine.
Types of Love
There are different types of love and they include:
1. Self Love
This kind of love involves acceptance and believing in oneself. It is important to know that before you can love others, you need to be able to love yourself first.
2. Friendship love
This type of love exists between friends who like each other, show commitment to one another, and share deep and intimate feelings with one another. This love can also be called philia or platonic love, which means, brotherly love. Platonic love is the type of love that is often seen between friends. It is a deep and strong love that is not based on any romantic or sexual feelings. This type of love is often built on trust, respect, and mutual understanding.
3. Unconditional love
Unconditional love: Unconditional love is the purest and most selfless type of love. It is the type of love that is not based on any conditions or expectations. This type of love is often seen in the love between a parent and child.
Related: Signs of true love in a relationship
3. Romantic Love
This love is characterized by intimacy and passion. It involves total absorption with strong feelings of elation, sexual desire, and arousal. It is equally called eros love. Romantic love is the type of love that is often portrayed in movies and novels. It is the passionate and intense love between two people who are attracted to each other. This type of love often leads to a strong physical and emotional connection between the two people.
4. Agape Love
This type of love is also called divine love. It is the natural love of God for humanity.
Synonyms of Love
tenderness, fondness, predilection, warmth, passion, adoration, adore, adulate, liking, inclination, regard, friendliness, intimacy, attachment, worship, etc.
St. Paul in 1 Cor. 13:4-18 (NIV) states that Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, and it keeps no record of wrongs.
Without love, our society, and the world at large will be full of hatred, violence, and other social vices. But love has helped reduce all these inhumane acts.