How do you forget someone you love deeply? How do I stop thinking about someone I love? Can you ever forget someone you love? How long does it take to forget about someone you love?
All these questions pop into my mail every week. And today, I’ve decided to write a complete guide on what you should do to forget about someone you love and move on.
You see, when you fall deeply in love, it becomes difficult to get rid of those emotions or memories you shared with your ex when the relationship finally ends.
That means you will keep remembering the good places you visited, the love and the trust you had for your partner. All these happen because there was a deep emotional connection between you and your significant other.
It hurts to see a loved one go, especially if you fought tirelessly to make the relationship work. But as everything went in the opposite direction, should you continue thinking about someone you love that doesn’t share the same feelings with you? I don’t think so.
Although, research shows that memories cannot be easily erased, especially the ones you shared with a loved one. But that doesn’t mean you can’t forget the man or woman you love.
Below are some tips that will help you get over someone you love deeply and move on with your life.
Whether is your ex-boyfriend, ex-girlfriend, wife, husband, ex-lover, or a deceased one. Get ride of their memory by doing the followings:
How to forget about someone you love
Below are some tips that will help you stop remembering someone you love.
1. Be open to a new love
You can’t get rid of the emotions you have for someone by still dwelling in the past. You need to take a step before you can erase those memories.
The first way to forget about someone you love is to allow yourself to love someone else. Do not say no when you have the opportunity to start a new relationship or date someone else.
Most people find it difficult to get over someone they’re in love with because they keep dwelling on their past.
Their past emotions and the memories they shared with their ex keep holding them from moving on.
When a new person comes into your life, give them the opportunity to love you, and equally show them love in return.
Try dating someone else, meet new friends, and participate in online dating. This will help you get over the person you love deeply and see every day.
Read also: How to stop thinking about someone you love. and
2. Give yourself time
You need some time to get rid of those memories from your brain.
Completely forgetting about someone you’re in love with doesn’t happen overnight. It may take up to a month, two months, or even more to finally get over someone.
All you need to do is to focus on improving your life to become a better person.
Everything that happens in the world works with time. To have a good relationship, you need to give it time. To recover from a breakup, you need some time to heal. Likewise forgetting the person you love. You need time to let go of those emotions.
3. Cease all forms of communication with them
It will be hard to forget someone if you are still getting in touch with them. So, the best way to let go of someone you love is to cut off, all forms of communication with them.
You can decide to delete their contacts, block them on social media, or stop visiting the place where you will see them.
If you feel the urge to text or call them, resist it. If you’re calling them in the past, stop it. All these will help you to stop thinking about them and move on with your life.
4. Get rid of those things that remind you of them
If you still have any of their belongings that makes it difficult for you to forget him or her, it’s high time you removed them.
Whether they are the gifts you received from them on your birthday, Valentine’s day, their pictures, or anything at all. Get rid of those items.
Bring them together and burn them to ashes. It will help you erase those happy memories about them.
Research shows that our thoughts are most of the time, controlled by what we see (external factors).
So, if seeing your ex’s photographs remind you of them, do away with them.
You can only shift your mind away from someone you love by removing everything that belongs to them from your sight.
5. Create a new memory for yourself
To forget the past, you need to create what will represent the past.
Forming new memories will help you to forget your past life or love for your ex. So, recommend making new friends, and visiting new places.
Spend time with people that loves you and are ready not to take you for granted.
Research shows that “if you want to change the outside, you must first change the inside. Your thoughts are a catalyst for self-perpetuating cycles.”
Change your thoughts today by forming or creating new memories. Socialize with your friends.
Avoid being alone. Loneliness can bring depression and hinder you from getting over someone you’re deeply in love with.
The more you maintain a solitary life, the more you will continue thinking about your ex.
So, go out to meet new friends. Try dating someone new, and make yourself happy.
All these will help you create exciting memories that will make you completely forget that person you so much love.
Quotes to help you forget about someone you love
Below are some quotes that will help you get over someone as quick as possible.
- “The best way to be happy is to let go of the past. Either anger, anxiety or possession. They’re capable of taking away your joy.” Anonymous
- “Nothing ever goes away until it teaches us what we need to know.” Pema Chodron
- “The pain of love does not disappear overnight. You need to constantly discipline your mind to focus on the present than in your past.”
- “The worst mistake you can make is to keep worrying yourself over someone that doesn’t even know you’re thinking about them.”
- “Fight for your love but don’t forget to give up when they no longer need you.” Anonymous
- “Do not beg anyone to love you. If you do, you will keep begging them to stay.”
- “Never allow anyone have control over your emotions.”
- “It is time for me to let go of my old beliefs about how relationships are supposed to be.” Louise Hay
- “If you love them, then love in the way that frees them. Build them up. Grow them and let them grow you. Love that is confining, restrictive, and full of laws is love born out of the desperation of loneliness.” Jm Strom
- “It doesn’t feel good to let go but you have to.” Unknown
- “Self respect is knowing when you are not needed and act accordingly.”
- “No one has the right to make you unhappy unless you permit them.”
- “Well, now, if little by little you stop loving me, I shall stop loving you.
Little by little
If suddenly you forget me
Do not look for me
For I shall already have forgotten you
If you think it long and mad the wind of banners that passes through my life
And you decide to leave me at the shore of the heart where I have roots
That on that day, at that hour, I shall lift my arms
And my roots will set off to seek another land” Pablo Neruda
- “Most things are forgotten over time. Even the war itself, the life-and-death struggle people went through is now like something from the distant past.”
- “We’re so caught up in our everyday lives that events of the past are no longer in orbit around our minds.”
- There are just too many things we have to think about everyday, too many new things we have to learn. But still, no matter how much time passes, no matter what takes place in the interim, there are some things we can never assign to oblivion, memories we can never rub away. They remain with us forever, like a touchstone.”
In summary, here’s how to get over someone you deeply love.
- Be open to a new love
- Give yourself time
- Cease all forms of communication with them
- Get rid of those things that remind you of them
- Create a new memory for yourself
Do you have other ways to share with us? Drop a comment below.
- 5 Warning Signs He’s a Player and you should avoid him. - 18/05/2022
- 8 Tips For Overcoming The Fear Of Failure In Life - 18/05/2022
- 7 Signs of an Unhappy Relationship and How to recover - 16/05/2022