Does age matter in a relationship?
The age gap plays an important role in our relationships. To some, age is just a number, whereas, others view it from a different perspective. But does the difference in age of adults in relationships matter?
Today in society, men are expected to date or get married to younger women, with at least a 1-5 year age gap, which they consider an acceptable age difference for those in relationships. But this varies in some cultures, as some allow from 6-15 years of space.
Age gap relationship, also known as May-December romance works. And in this post, I will throw more light on the age gap in relationships, and the pros, and cons of dating someone who is not within your age bracket.
What is the age-gap relationship?
An age-gap relationship is a relationship between two people with different age brackets-One older and the other younger.
Does Age Matter In A Relationship?
Age itself doesn’t matter when it comes to a relationship. A mature partner is identified by the way he or she reasons, reacts, or handles certain issues in their relationship and not by their age. And any couple can have a strong relationship irrespective of their age as long they have love, respect, understanding, and care for each other.
Many amongst us have found love in a much younger or older partner, without allowing years to interfere in their love life. Two people can live together irrespective of their color, age, background, region, language, or religion. What matters most is the selfless love that exists between them.
Celebrities like, Heidi Klum & Tom, Hugh Jackman & Debora Lee-Furness, and others are happily married to their older significant other. In other words, the age gap is not the only factor for the success or failure of a relationship. Your relationship can still work even if you are dating someone who is not within your age bracket.
Read also: What age should you start dating?
What is a good age difference in a relationship?
1-5 Years is considered a perfect age gap for people in a relationship. Research proves that this age varies in some countries and age disparity in sexual relationships contributes to how satisfied or dissatisfied couples feel in their relationships.
Most men marry women younger than they are. Whereas, few men are interested in dating older women. And women themselves are okay with a man, someone who is not within their age bracket. But all these depends on what each person wants in a relationship.
The Pros and Cons of Age-Gap Relationship
1. An older partner is considered wiser
2. Older partners tend to be “more mature” in handling relationship issues than younger partners
3. They are more tolerating
4. They have more experience about life than the younger partners
5. An older partner knows what he or she wants
6. He or she is more willing to settle down
7. Older partners can advise you when you need some piece of advice.
1. He or she might die before you
2. A younger partner needs more maturity as a result of how they respond to certain issues in their relationship.
3. Younger couples are more possessive and selfish
4. Most older couples experience a lack of sex drive as a result of hormonal changes.
5. Dating an older partner can make you feel uncomfortable as you will be afraid of losing your significant other to younger and more attractive people.
6. Health challenges for the older partner.
7. Different life expectations
9. Uncommon interests
10. It is a deal-breaker in most relationships.
Read also: How to date a younger man in your 40s
Why most people don’t date older people
1. The fear of what the society would say
2. The anxiety of being abused (beaten up) by an older partner especially for women
3. Insecurity. Some think that their partner might be attracted to a younger person
4. Health challenges especially for the older partner
5. The fear of being overlooked by their partner
6. The fear of having complications in childbearing
7. And, the fear of not having a lasting relationship with them.
How to overcome the age gap in a relationship
You can bridge the age gap between you and your significant other by discovering your common interests. Spend time together and focus on those things, you both love, and your difference in age will diminish.
You should respect each other’s opinion, not minding who is the eldest and the youngest. And also, consider visiting each other’s friends and engage in new activities to keep yourselves healthy and happy.
The age gap does not matter so much in a relationship. What matters is the love and understanding that exists between you and your significant other, plus how ready and emotional maturity they have to start a relationship.
If you are already dating an older man or woman, or about to start, the most important thing is that love and mutual understanding between you and your partner.
Also, never ignore your family and friends’ wishes. Your loved ones play an important role in your relationship. So, do not overlook their advice when necessary.
People Also Ask.
[sc_fs_multi_faq headline-0=”p” question-0=”Is a 10 year age difference too much?” answer-0=”While there is no true age limit to dating between consenting adults, a 10-year age difference is too much to be compared with 3-5 years age gap.” image-0=”” headline-1=”p” question-1=”Does relationship with age gap lasts?” answer-1=”Age differences does not guarantee a long lasting relationship. What makes your relationship stand the test of time is the love, understanding and the respect you have for each other. ” image-1=”” headline-2=”p” question-2=”Does age matter in a relationship biblically?” answer-2=”The Bible does not say anything directly about relationships between adults who are not in the same age bracket. ” image-2=”” headline-3=”p” question-3=”Does age matter in a relationship if the girl is older?” answer-3=”Age never matters or hinders a relationship if you are in love with an older woman. What matters is why you chose to date her. ” image-3=”” count=”4″ html=”true” css_class=””]